3 Relatively Simple Things You Can Do To Help Animals
1. Spay or neuter your dog or cat!
• An unspayed female cat and her progeny can produce 420,000 kittens within 7 years.
• One unspayed dog and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in 7 years.
• Only two out of every ten of those animals has a chance to find a home! The rest become strays or are killed in animal shelters (only 9 out of every 100 cats, and 14 out of every 100 dogs in shelters will ever find a home).
• Please see Links for information about low-cost spay/neuter programs.
2. Please, if you are going to adopt a dog or cat, adopt from your local shelter.
3. Consider at least cutting down on your consumption of meat. Better still, don’t eat meat any more.
• “The use and abuse of animals raised for food far exceeds, in sheer numbers of animals affected, any other kind of mistreatment.” – Peter Singer
• Five billion animals suffer from birth to death on factory farms each year.
• 40% – 50% of the antibiotics used in this country each year are administered to factory-farmed animals. You and your family ingest the antibiotics with the meat.
• Production of a single pound of meat requires 2500 gallons of water. A pound of wheat can be produced with just 25 gallons.